Friday, July 24, 2009

Blue remembered Skye


Rush, rush, rush, a state of mind I've slipped back into all too easily, was not a quality of the few days we spent on the Isle of Skye. Skye for me is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, on a par with the desert in Arizona. Not to compare you might think but if you have been to both places you might know how impressive and memorable the elemental can be and why when on Skye I kept remembering Arizona.


We stayed a few days at Kinloch Lodge, an old hunting lodge, now converted by the aristocratic family that owns it into a hotel and restaurant. I'll write more of this later in a compendium post about the vacation. Right now there is not time, unfortunately. 

Whilst at Kinloch I discovered, totally against character, single malt Scotch. In the past I have used whisky only as an ingredient of and to flambe the Christmas Pudding but now life has changed - I love what is this Friday's cocktail or, rather, today's life enhancing drink and one of the ancient foods still made in the ancient way - foods that define both experience and place.

Talisker Single Malt Whiskey.

I know that one is supposed only to drink single malt with a touch of water but true to my preference I drank this subtlest of peaty, smokey, golden liquids over ice whilst sitting in an armchair in one of Kinloch's drawing rooms with my Celt next to me in front of a wonderful view (above) awaiting the call to dinner. 

Utter peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment